Senior Software Engineer
We exist to fight for fairness in education and create a world where everyone can discover and fulfill their potential.
We're on a mission to redefine the student education pipeline with a team of incredibly passionate professionals dedicated to building the next-gen ecosystem of tools that will improve students’ experience across the entire college and career planning lifecycle.
We are looking for an experienced hands-on Senior Software Engineer to join a small, distributed team of engineers. You’ll work closely with the Engineering Manager providing the technical experience to software teams and partnering with product teams to create compelling customer driven features while building and maintaining a scalable, evolvable, performant codebase.
You will bring a continuous improvement mentality to the role, always on the lookout for ways to make things better across the company and within your own scope of responsibility.
This is a hands-on role, performing hands-on work and providing technical guidance and mentorship to the team while working alongside the Engineering Manager.
A day in the life of a Senior Software Engineer
- Working with the Engineering Manager, propel the team through agile development of web apps, mobile apps, libraries and frameworks, and RESTful microservices.
- As a Senior Engineer, you’ll be very involved in the overall architecture of the system you’re working on.
- Solve business needs with short-term deliverables, while constantly improving and moving towards long-term project goals.
- Promote a work environment that is highly collaborative and team-centric.
- Enhance, refactor, and continuously improve the codebase.
- Keep management informed of project progress and problems, particularly as to needed changes in schedule, resources, or product scope.
- Communicate effectively with technical and non-technical people.
- Generate new ideas, never say or think "that's not my job."Take a proactive approach in keeping your skills fresh and up to date.
- Within 1 month, you would be learning about our business, our environment and how we work, and you will be working hands-on with our technology and getting to know your team.
- Within 3 months, you will be participating in planning & development activities and beginning to look at infrastructure designs, CI/CD pipelines and carrying out code reviews for the team.
- Within 6 months you should be taking ownership of the application architecture, production troubleshooting, working on cross-portfolio projects and releasing software with the team.
- Within 1 year you will be fully immersed in the SDLC, providing technical leadership to your team and building bulletproof products whilst actively engaging in process optimization.
- You hold a BS in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, or equivalent. A relevant Master's degree is a plus.
- You have 2+ years experience building software on AWS and have used many of the AWS technologies. AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate is preferred. Other AWS certifications are a plus.
- You have 2+ years experience building web apps with Python 3.x. Bonus points for FastAPI experience.
- You’re used to working in an iterative-based development environment using Agile/Scrum/Kanban.
- You are always thinking, “what happens if this fails?”
- You hold an appreciation for pragmatism and simplicity in software architecture.
- You’re an excellent, collaborative team player with the communication skills to match.
- You are passionate about getting the job done well even under time pressure and thrive in a demanding environment.
- Demonstrated proactivity in capitalizing on opportunities and resolving issues.
- Intellectually curious – prepared to challenge and be challenged.
- Constantly striving to learn new technologies and look for ways to stay up to date in this rapidly changing industry.
What sets us apart?
- Mission driven culture
- Paid holidays and generous PTO policy
- Generous benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Paid Life and Disability, HSA, FSA,
- Tuition Reimbursement, and 401k
- Casual dress
- Collaborative and energetic work environment with other motivated, career-driven professionals